The role of cardboard packaging in the industry is highly significant. This is because it includes a wide range of indispensable functionalities for the supply chain.
In the following article, you can find information about popular options for cardboard packaging based on thickness and functionality, designed to provide greater strength and durability.
Why is Cardboard Important in Packaging?
It plays an essential role in packaging for several fundamental reasons. It does so not only for distribution chains but also for consumers and environmental preservation, as it provides:
- Product protection.
- Design and marketing.
- Identification and labeling.
Additionally, it optimizes logistics, saves costs, and complies with regulations.
What is the Role of Cardboard in Secondary and Tertiary Packaging?
Certainly, cardboard packaging for products is essential in secondary and tertiary packaging. This is considering that it fulfills key functions in product protection, arrangement, and handling.
It groups and preserves multiple units of an item in a single package. It also protects against internal factors and offers detailed information, instructions, and barcodes that facilitate inventory control.
It includes multiple units of secondary packaging. It provides consolidation and protection in a single container for large-scale transportation and handling. It allows for optimizing space in cargo vehicles and storage. Finally, it provides an additional layer of protection to minimize product risks and damage.
Exploring Corrugated Cardboard
It is a commonly used material for making packaging. It consists of several layers of paper overlaid to form a corrugated structure.
This structure is inserted between two flat outer sheets for greater strength and durability. Therefore, it is ideal for securely transporting items. It is available in different thicknesses and sizes of corrugation and is easily adaptable to other products and packaging requirements.
The most common layers and types of corrugations are:
- Top sheet: corresponds to the outer layer, is smooth, and is used to identify the box with labels and prints.
- Inner sheet: corresponds to the inner layer and functions similarly to the top sheet.
- B flute, or B corrugation, is the most significant type, providing strength and stacking capacity. It is used for general packaging boxes.
- C flute, also known as C corrugation, has more minor corrugations and offers excellent resistance to compression and stacking, making it ideal for heavy products.
- E flute, also known as E corrugation, has very small corrugations, ideal for fragile and delicate products, protecting against shocks and impacts.
- F flute, also known as F corrugation, has larger grooves than B corrugation and is used for packaging that requires high compression strength.
- N flute, also known as N corrugation, includes two layers of B corrugation combined, ideal for packaging that requires greater strength and cushioning, such as food packaging and electronic products.
Advantages of Corrugated Cardboard
Corrugated cardboard is widely used in the packaging and distribution industry due to its cushioning, insulating, and resistant properties.
Some of the benefits it offers include:
- Durability and protection against shocks, impacts, stacking, and vibrations.
- Thermal insulation against temperature variations.
- Customization and versatility. It is adaptable to various applications and products, including electronics, food, textiles, etc.
Finally, it is worth noting that it is environmentally friendly and sustainable because it is a biodegradable and recyclable material.
Folding cardboard consists of a single layer of paper, unlike corrugated cardboard. It can vary in weight, grammage, and firmness and can be treated with coatings to extend its durability.
Uses of Folding Cardboard
It is generally used for packaging small-sized items. It is also used as printed advertising material for creating flyers, brochures, cards, etc.
Among the functionalities and benefits it offers are:
- Customization and branding options for promoting brands, logos, and instructions make it ideal for retail.
- Greater manageability and flexibility compared to other types of cardboard, facilitating the unpacking of folding boxes.
It should also be noted that some designs include flaps and tabs that facilitate assembly. Additionally, it has an impeccable aesthetic finish for creating versatile and attractive packaging.
Strength and Applications of Solid Fiberboard
Solid fiberboards, medium-density fiberboards, or MDFs, are used in various applications, including packaging. They are made by compressing wood fibers with specialized resins under high pressure and temperature to obtain a rigid, compact, and durable board.
It is used for packaging that requires firmness and protection beyond flexibility. Examples include rigid packaging, custom packaging, boxes for heavy items, and moisture-resistant structures.
Choosing the Right Type of Cardboard Based on Packaging Needs
Choose the right cardboard packaging based on the product characteristics and transportation and handling needs, considering factors such as:
- Type of product to be packaged and specifications.
- Strength, cushioning capacity, and durability.
- Requirements for safe transport and handling.
- Corrugated cardboard is used for packaging food, electronics, fragile products, toys, and furniture. It is also used for packaging clothing and textiles, pharmaceutical products, automotive parts, and more.
- Folding cardboard is used for packaging personal hygiene products, small electronic devices, office supplies, and board games. It is also suitable for accessories, household utensils, and non-perishable foods.
Finally, there is solid fiberboard or MDF, which is not commonly used as a packaging option. However, it is used for items that require a stable and compact surface.
Sustainable and Eco-Friendly Cardboard Options
The increasing demand for eco-friendly and sustainable packaging and packaging materials is due to the integration of social, economic, and environmental factors promoting environmental preservation.
Today, several common cardboard materials in packaging are environmentally friendly. Some of the options to consider include:
- Biodegradable cardboard.
- Cardboard with ecological certifications.
- Cardboard printed with vegetable inks and eco-friendly adhesives.
- Compostable cardboard.
Likewise, sustainable packaging is fundamental to improving the brand’s reputation. This is due to the positive influence it offers in terms of:
- Promoting environmental responsibility values.
- Competitive differentiation from other sectors.
In addition to reducing environmental impact and compliance with regulations.
Innovations and Future Trends in Cardboard Packaging
Innovations and future trends in cardboard packaging respond to a need to offer consumers sustainable, functional, and attractive packaging options.
Emerging technologies and trends in cardboard packaging are reshaping the industry by providing more efficient, versatile, and innovative alternatives.
Some of the current technologies and trends include:
- Digital printing and customization options.
- Innovative packaging, including NFC labels and QR codes.
- Interaction with augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) applications.
Additionally, intelligent food packaging allows monitoring of freshness and quality, the incorporation of new materials, water-resistant coatings, and easy-opening systems.
The Impact of Innovation on Packaging Efficiency and Consumer Experience
Packaging innovation significantly impacts the logistics system’s efficiency, storage, and consumer experience. This is because:
- Suitable, ecological, and sustainable materials are used, reducing waste emissions.
- Transportation, handling, and storage are more efficient, as well as the packaging speed.
Furthermore, it offers greater visual appeal, ease of use, compliance with regulations, authenticity, and traceability.
BMS Custom Cardboard Solutions
BMS is a leading company with extensive experience in the industry, offering personalized packaging solutions. It focuses on manufacturing innovative, high-quality products with state-of-the-art technology.
Benefits Offered by BMS for Custom Cardboard Packaging Needs
The company BMS (Box Manufacturing System) provides significant benefits for the packaging solutions you need. For example:
- Personalized, innovative, and efficient industrial cardboard packaging solutions.
- Quality packaging cardboard options with optimized, flexible designs tailored to your needs.
- Cost reduction.
- Product protection.
- Reduced environmental impact.
- Customer service.
Enjoy all the benefits BMS offers to obtain personalized solutions and purchase custom cardboard packaging materials. Check the product catalog and select the most suitable cardboard type for the packaging you want to cover to achieve greater strength, cushioning, and stacking capacity.